My first flight overseas was very easy. Not much turbulence at all, though I still didn't sleep as much as I would've liked to. I did run into a small issue though trying to get a cart for my 4 pieces of luggage. I needed a 1£ coin, but the change machine wouldn't accept the 10£ bill that Dad and Jane had given me. After a few minutes of actually trying to wheel around 3 bags while carrying a backpack I saw an ATM. I needed cash anyway, so I withdrew some money, and luckily the ATM's here seem to give you two 10£ notes with larger withdrawals (the change machine would not take a 20£). Luckily it accepted the new 10£ and I was on my way.
The school had sent a driver to pick me up, so I waited a few minutes for her to arrive, as the plane was a little earlier and customs and baggage was fairly quick too. Sitting in the left side of the Mercedes was a little eerie, as was being on the wrong side of the road. We took the M25 up to the M1 to get to Milton Keynes. We did get really close to being hit when a car cut us off though, that would've been fun I'm sure.
My landlord met me at my new home to give me keys and go over basic stuff. From there I unpacked most of my stuff and went out to find a grocery store and some food. I found a Waitrose, which seems to be somewhere in between a Harris Teeter and Whole Foods. Bought some cereal, milk, frozen dinners and a few other things.
I then decided to go try and find a store to buy bath towels and some hangers from. I found a couple of options and headed out in the rain. I thought my jacket was rainproof (it was, must've worn off over time) but it turned out to be far from it. By the time I got to the store I was basically drenched. It didn't help that I apparently didn't remember the location exactly correct, as I walked around a while trying to find it.
On the way back I grabbed some dinner at a pub. I was hoping to dry off, which I did, but unfortunately the rain didn't slow down at all. I had a tuna melt sandwich and a pint of cask Greene King IPA. The sandwich was simple but good. Beer was good as well, but far far far from what I'm used to as an IPA. The walk back home was wet and I was glad to be home.
I stayed up till about 10 trying to get rid of my jet lag by watching F1 on demand on BBC.com.
No comments:
Post a Comment