Friday, February 4, 2011

Stuff

It's nice to finally be done with all but one assignment.  Everything was submitted yesterday, and then we got the nice surprise that we had to turn in hard copies of them as well.  Good thing I was already on campus for a meeting about my thesis.  Apparently they actually grade the hard copies and only use the electronic files to check for plagiarism.  Which is interesting since this is the first year that they have not provided students with hard copies of all the lecture notes.  So if we are expected to use electronic copies and print if we need to, why can't the lecturers do the same.  It does cost us money to print too, though I'm still working on the print credit we got from the University to start the year.

The meeting about my thesis went well.  I have two ideas which we are going to propose and seek sponsors for.  Then once we have options, I can choose either the project I'd rather do, or the one that we get the highest profile or biggest pocket sponsor for.  One involves tyre modelling and further understanding of their grip behaviour, the other is an investigation into a pretty radical new suspension design.  Yes I've been writing in UK English, sorry :)

I also have an informal interview for a position as a race engineer with a Caterham R300 race team.  I think the driver is a professor here, so asked for some help, and I was lucky enough to be chosen for an interview.  

Last night's trivia/quiz event was fun, we didn't win, but had a good time and raised some money for the Motorsport Club.  The funds will go towards subsidising some of our trips to races throughout the year.  Today I'll get to the gym shortly, then back here for some lunch, and then to campus to get a ride to the Prodrive factory.  It's about 50 degrees here, but we have 27 mph winds with gusts to 45 or 55 mph that started last night, they are pretty insane.

We finally have all but one exam grade back.  I think I'm doing very well, not the best in the class, but much better than a lot of the guys I've talked to.  Suppose that's about it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment