Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Buses

I finally think I figured out the options for buses to get back home.  There is either one at 5:36, 7:20, or 8:50.  A bit frustrating since the 536 is hard to get if we have anything to discuss after class.  I'll probably wind up using the 7:20 a lot.  I also found a cheaper cafe for coffee and tea on campus, and it has a view of the tail end of the airport too.

Yesterday we laid up the first section of wing.  The carbon fiber comes in pre-woven sheets that have resin already applied (so they are sticky).  The term for this kind of carbon is "prepreg".  To put the part together, you start with a mold, and carefully lay down multiple sheets on top of the mold.  Then it is put in a bag (with various other layers to control moisture, air and resin transfer).  The bag is hooked up to a vacuum port while in the autoclave overnight.  This heats the assembly to allow the resin to cure.  The vacuum compacts the carbon sheets and resin together.  Over the next two days, we have 4 other parts to assemble, and then on Thursday we will combine them all together for a final cure.

Oh, and I don't think I've mentioned this, but there is another American guy here.  He wasn't here yet when we all did introductions.  He is from the Philadelphia area.

This was the coldest morning yet, the weather said it was 32 F, and I believe it.  It's only supposed to get up to 44, but it should be sunny, so that shouldn't be so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment