Wednesday, October 20, 2010

An Interesting Night

After laying up all of the other components of our wing, and getting them in vacuum bags and in the oven or autoclave, we were done a little earlier than usual.  Luckily for me it was just in time to catch the early bus, which is much less crowded.  I took advantage of the extra time and ventured down towards the rail station and "The Hub".  I stopped in the Wetherspoon's to have dinner and get a bit of studying done.  The place has an odd reputation, of being the place for young kids to go get drunk cheaply.  I guess I was there a the right time, as it was nothing of the sort.  The cask ale was cheap, but very good selection, and the food was good, affordable, and they had a good variety of choices.  I'd say I was more impressed than expected after what I had read online.

For dinner I had British beef casserole, basically thick beef stew.  My first real English meal actually.  On the way back I needed to pick up some fruits and vegetables for the next few days, so I stopped by the Sainsbury's.  The best part however was as I was walking in, across the street a random (I assume) fireworks show started.  It went on for a solid 10 minutes.  And very impressive at that, a good mix, honestly it looked professional and better than some of the shows I've seen back home at things like Bull's games.  No clue who did it or why though.

A final thought - A lot of English people do not like Milton Keynes.  I think mainly because it is not very traditional.  It was all built in the 60's and 70's and so therefore has very little history like most English towns do.  I however think it isn't quite so bad.  I can go to the Centre for just about any shopping I want, The Hub for nightlife and higher end dining, and if I want traditional English towns, they are a bus ride away.  Basically it is a good compromise for me between the conveniences I'm used to and the traditional English town.  Maybe I'm completely wrong, but I think it will work for me.   If only the buses were a little more convenient and better scheduled for getting to campus...

No comments:

Post a Comment