Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Head colds make lectures fun

Well I've had a small head cold the last couple of days.  It makes a long day of lectures feel even longer unfortunately.  Today we continued metal properties and behavior discussions.  Elastic behavior, plastic deformation, that kind of stuff.  In the afternoon, the lecture was on friction and wear and lubrication.  This was pretty interesting, since I don't think I've ever had a specific class or anything on wear, or anything this detailed on lubrication.  We went into the different modes of friction, which simplified are varying levels of metal to metal contact.  For example, engine components wear the most during startup because the lubrication is not thick enough to keep the surface irregularities from contacting each other.  This is because the components are acting in the boundary lubrication mode.  You want to be in hydrodynamic lubrication, as that means the oil film is thick enough to prevent surface contact.

I stayed on campus working with our second group project.  We are modeling a seat support bracket in ANSYS to analyze the structure and try to optimize it.  Dinner was a frozen chicken biryani meal, that only cost 1&pound and was actually very good!

Off to bed for me, wish me luck getting rid of the head cold please...

No comments:

Post a Comment